A freesweet recipe:
red velvet cake
Serves: 16 Servings or 1 (3 layer) cake
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter three 9-inch cake rounds. Dust with flour and tap out the excess.
- Mix together flour, Freesweet, cornstarch, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder, and salt in a stand mixer using a low speed until combined.
- Add eggs, buttermilk, warm water, oil, vanilla, vinegar, and food coloring. Beat on a medium speed until smooth. This should take just a couple of minutes.
- Divide batter among the three prepared pans.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes until the cake meets the toothpick test (stick a toothpick in and it comes out clean).
- Cool on wire racks for 15 minutes and then turn out the cakes onto the racks and allow to cool completely before frosting.
- Make the frosting. In a large bowl, beat together butter and cream cheese until fluffy. Use a hand mixer or stand mixer for best results. Add in vanilla extract. Beat until combined. Beat in powdered Freesweet, 1 cup at a time until frosting is smooth.
- Assemble and frost the completely cooled cake.
For more recipes visit www.freesweet.co.za/recipes