← All Recipes
A freesweet recipe:
for the macarons
for the buttercream
- To make the macarons:
- Combine powdered Freesweet, almond flour, and 1/2 teaspoon of salt into a blender and blitz until extra fine. Sift the mixture into a large bowl.
- In a separate bowl beat the egg whites and 1/2 teaspoon of salt until you form soft peaks.
- Gradually add the regular Freesweet and continue to beat until stiff peaks form. Add vanilla and beat again.
- Separate your mixture into two bowls, before adding a splash of black food colouring to one and a splash of orange colouring to the second.
- Add 1/4 of the dry mixture to each bowl and fold gently using a spatular, then add the remaining dry mixture equally to both bowls.
- Transfer the macaron mixture into a piping bag, pipe a dot in each corner of your baking tray then lay over your parchment paper (the mixture will stick this down).
- Pipe the macrons onto the parchment paper leaving at least 2cm between each. Tap the baking tray on a flat surface multiple times to release any trapped air bubbles.
- Let them sit at room temperature for around one hour (or until dry to touch). Preheat your oven to 150 degrees Celsius then bake for 17 minutes.
- Transfer the macarons to a wire rack to cool completely.
- To make the buttercream:
- Whip the butter in a large bowl until it is light and fluffy, then sift in the powdered Freesweet and beat. Add vanilla and orange zest and beat again. Add the cream slowly to your desired consistency.
- Transfer the buttercream to a piping bag then pipe onto half of your macaron shells, top with another (mix and match your colours too) and enjoy!
For more recipes visit www.freesweet.co.za/recipes