← All Recipes
A freesweet recipe:
Lemon Meringue Pie
Created for Freesweet by Meg Pascoe & the Counter!
Serves: 1 pie
for tart base
for tart filling
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- Cream butter and Freesweet until light and fluffy - add egg and mix well.
- Sift flour and salt and add to mixture. Add vanilla and mix until smooth.
- Rest dough for one hour. Roll out and line tart casing - one large casing (24cm) or two smaller casings (14cm each).
- Blind bake in the oven for 20 minutes - allow to cool.
- Bring the butter, Freesweet and lemon juice to a boil.
- Whisk egg yolks until smooth in a glass bowl. Slowly pour the hot, melted butter mixture into the yolks while whisking continuously - careful not to pour too quickly, or the yolks will scramble.
- Pour the mixture back into the pot and bring to boil on a low heat, stirring continuously.
- Once thick and smooth, remove from heat and pour into the baked and cooled tart case. Allow to cool completely.
- for meringue:
- Preheat the oven to 150 degrees Celsius.
- Bring a small pot of water to a simmer on the stove. Add the egg whites and Freesweet to a heat-proof bowl and place on the pot of simmering water to create a double boiler.
- Stir the mixture until all of the Freesweet has dissolved. Add into a mixer and whisk until light and fluffy.
- Alternately - mix with a handheld mixer until light and fluffy. Spoon the meringue onto the lemon tart and either bake in oven for 10min on 150 Celsius or burn with a blowtorch until golden brown. Serve.
For more recipes visit www.freesweet.co.za/recipes