← All Recipes
A freesweet recipe:
Zingy Lemon Cupcakes
It’s like Lemon Meringue Pie in cupcake form! As seen on the Home Channel.
Serves: 24 cupcakes
for cupcake base
for lemon curd
- 1. Beat 2 eggs and two egg yolks with Freesweet until light and fluffy.
- 2. Mix in water, oil, lemon juice, lemon rind and vanilla essence.
- 3. Sieve dry ingredients and fold into cupcake batter.
- 4. Whisk egg whites till soft and fluffy, fold into batter.
- 5. Spoon batter into cupcake cups, bake in a preheated oven 180 degrees for 12-15 mins.
- 6. Start on your lemon Curd. You may use a double Boiler or simply place a small heatproof bowl over a saucepan - you will cook the curd in the top pot/bowl.
- 7. Fill the bottom pot of your double boiler with 1-2 inches of water. (Or use the DIY double boiler method mentioned above) Place on high heat. Once the water begins to boil, reduce to low heat to keep the water at a simmer.
- 8. Place egg yolks, Freesweet, lemon zest, lemon juice, and salt into the top pot of your double boiler. Using a silicone whisk, whisk until completely blended, then continue to whisk as the curd cooks. Constant whisking prevents the egg yolks from curdling. Whisk and cook until the mixture becomes thick, resembling the texture of hollandaise sauce, about 10 minutes. If curd isn’t thickening, turn up the heat and constantly whisk.
- 9. Remove pan from heat. Cut the butter into 6 separate pieces, then stir into the curd. The butter will melt from the heat of the curd. Pour curd into a jar or bowl and place a piece of plastic wrap directly on top so it is touching the top of the curd. (This prevents a skin from forming on top.) The curd will continue to thicken as it cools. Once cool, the plastic wrap can be removed.
- 10. Curd can be refrigerated for up to about 10 days.
- 11. Once cupcakes are cooled, spoon a little bit out of the centre of each cupcake, creating a shallow well (A melon baller is a perfect tool for this. Keep the bit of cake, it will be used as a lid)
- 12. Spoon approximately 5ml of lemon curd into each well.
- 13. Cover each cupcake with its lid.
- 14. Move onto your Marshmallow Frosting.
- 15. Again using a double boiler, whisk together the egg whites and Freesweet, water and cream of tartar until it starts to thicken and the Freesweet dissolves (± 7 mins)
- 16. Transfer to an electric beater, add salt and vanilla essence and whisk for a further ± 7 minutes until peaks start to form.
- 17. Pipe onto your cupcakes.
- 18. Take a bite and try not to weep for joy!
For more recipes visit www.freesweet.co.za/recipes