A freesweet recipe:
gluten and sugar free churro sticks
Serves: 8 sticks
for churro sticks
- 1. Preheat oven to 180°C. Line a baking tray with baking paper and grease with baking spray
- 2. In a medium bowl, sift together macadamia flour, coconut flour, psyllium husk and xanthan gum. Set aside.
- 3. Heat up water, butter and sweetener in a medium pot until mixture is simmering. Lower heat and add in flour mixture, mixing to incorporate. Continue to cook and stir until the dough pulls away from the pan (2 minutes)
- 4. Transfer dough back to the bowl and cool for 5 minutes. The dough should still be warm, but not hot enough to cook the eggs.
- 5. Add in one egg at a time, mixing until fully incorporated and then finally mix in vanilla extract
- 6. The final dough should still be stiff, elastic and form into a ball easily
- 7. Allow the dough to rest until it comes to room temperature
- 8. Spoon dough into a piping bag with a star tip and pipe out sticks onto the prepared baking tray (makes around 10 – 12 sticks)
- 9. Bake for 20 minutes, until golden brown
- 10. Brush with melted butter right out of the oven and sprinkle with cinnamon 'sugar' and dip in chocolate if desired. Enjoy these treats the same day.
For more recipes visit www.freesweet.co.za/recipes