← All Recipes
A freesweet recipe:
Try this classic cake for a healthy treat
Serves: 1 cake
for carrot cake
- Use two circular tins (23 cm) and butter the bottom and sides.Cover the buttered bottoms of the tins with a circular piece of baking paper, butter the paper then cover it as well as the sides with flour.
- Sift together the flour, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda, spices and salt.
- Separate 2 of the 4 eggs.
- In a large bowl beat together both the oil and the Freesweet. Add the whole eggs one at a time, beat the mixture well before adding the two egg yolks. Stir in both the grated carrots and the chopped walnuts. Fold in the flour then add the boiling water.
- In another bowl, whisk the 2 egg whites to soft peak stage. Fold it into the batter.
- Divide the cake between the two tins. Bake for 45 minutes or until a skewer inserted at the center of the cake comes out clean. Let the cakes cool before removing them from the tins.
- The icing consists of mixing all the ingredients together. Keep the icing in the fridge until you are ready to use it.
- Sandwich some icing between the two tiers of cake and then cover the rest with what remains. Put the whole cake in the fridge for 2 hours before serving. The icing fares better if this cake remains in the fridge.
For more recipes visit www.freesweet.co.za/recipes