← All Recipes
A freesweet recipe:
brown butter greek shortbread
Serves: 30 biscuits
- Melt the butter in a frying pan over a medium heat stirring often with a rubber spatula, until butter foams, starts to smell nutty, and the milk solids turn a beautiful golden brown. Do not burn the butter, watch it carefully! Pour it into a large heatproof bowl and chill until starting to solidify, about 30 minutes.
- Chop the walnuts to pea size. (Pecans also work)
- Add 1/2 cup of the icing freesweet to the cooled butter, beat well until fluffy.
- Add the flour and beat on low spead until the dough is thick and smooth.
- Fold in the vanilla extract and walnuts.
- Shape the dough into a sausage like a large toilet roll inner, wrap in clingwrap and chill in fridge for 30 min.
- Take out, slice 1 to 1.5cm thick and bake at 160C watching carefully until they turn golden brown – should be around 20min depending on size.
- As soon as you remove from the oven toss the biscuits which will still be soft because they’re hot into the remaining 1 cup of freesweet icing sugar until well coated then put on a cooling rack to cool and harden.
- Once completely cold, these will keep in a jar for up to 3 weeks.
For more recipes visit www.freesweet.co.za/recipes