A freesweet recipe:
Candied bacon, egg & cheese bake
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees C and grease a 22x33 (roughly) cm baking pan.
- Lay strips of bacon on a parchment lined baking sheet and sprinkle with Freesweet and cinnamon and drizzle with maple syrup.
- Bake until browned, about 20 minutes, then cool and coarsely chop. Set aside.
- Spread cubed bread on baking sheet and toast in oven, until just lightly golden, about 20 minutes. Cool and place in large bowl.
- Heat 1 Tbsp butter in a saute pan, add onion and cook until softened, 6-8 minutes. Cool to room temperature.
- Whisk eggs, add milk, cream, nutmeg, salt and pepper and whisk again.
- Add onion and gruyere/swiss and stir to combine.
- Pour egg mixture over bread cubes and toss.
- Pour bread mixture into prepared pan and sprinkle with bacon.
- Wrap tightly in plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
- The next day, heat oven to 190 degrees and bake uncovered for 30-40 minutes or until cooked through and golden brown.
For more recipes visit www.freesweet.co.za/recipes