A freesweet recipe:
Chef Gerhard’s roasted preserved lemons, halloumi, tomato and herb salad
For the preserved lemons
For the salad
- 1. To make the preserved lemons; melt the freesweet, water and star anise in a small saucepan then bring to a boil. Place the sliced lemons into the boiling syrup and boil for 5 – 8 minutes. Remove from the heat and pack the lemons into a sterilized jar with a tight fitting lid. Top up with the syrup, add the star anise then seal and allow to cool. Store in the fridge and use as needed.
- The excess syrup can be used as a cordial in cocktails or basting for chicken and fish.
- 2. Remove the preserved lemons, as many as you need, and spread out on a baking sheet. Place in a pre-heated 170⁰C oven or on a grill (with a closed lid) and bake for 15 minutes until the lemons have dried a little.
- 3. Heat a little olive oil in a non-stick pan and over medium heat; fry the halloumi on both sides until golden.
- 4. In a bowl, combine the tomatoes, parsley, mint, onion, radishes, the remaining olive oil, ¼ tsp salt and some fresh black pepper. Add the roasted lemon slices, stir gently, and serve with the haloumi.
For more recipes visit www.freesweet.co.za/recipes
No Content has been found.